The Sublime Characteristics of the Prophet (Imam al-Tirmidhi)
This is the arguably the most indispensable collection of Hadith related to the Prophet’s [salulahu alayhi wasalam] blessed Shama’il [Sublime Characteristics]. It was compiled by the eminent Muhaddith, Imam al-Tirmidhi less than 3 centuries after the passing away of the Prophet Mohammed [salulahu alayhi wasalam]
It contains a collection of 417 narrations from the contemporaries of the Prophet [salulahu alayhi wasalam] and their successors. Divided into 56 chapters it deals with all spheres of the Prophet’s life from his honourable outer appearance and characteristics like his bodily features and clothing; to his hallowed inner traits such as his humility and humour.
Scholar’s have said that whoever missed the opportunity to see the Prophet [salulahu alayhi wasalam] need only understand this book to have a vivid perception of what it would have been like to live amongst the Prophet and his Companions.
The Salaf would clutch tightly to the Sunnah because of its being a Sunnah.
The Khalaf thrust aside the Sunnah because in their words ‘it’s only a Sunnah
لَا يُؤْمِنُ أَحَدُكُمْ حَتَّى أَكُونَ أَحَبَّ إِلَيْهِ مِنْ وَالِدِهِ وَوَلَدِهِ وَالنَّاسِ أَجْمَعِين
"None of you believes until I am more beloved to him than his own father, his child, and all of humankind."
What’s in it for me?
By the end of the course, a student will be able to do the following:
• Increase your love for the Prophet and Allah’s love for you. Quran (3:31)
• Learn and appreciate the Hikmah (wisdom) behind the Sunnah
• Learn the Fiqh (juristic ruling) related to clothing, food, talk, etc.
• Create a genuine desire to practice the Sunnah your daily life.
• Learn about the lives of Sahabah and Hadith narrators
• Give you a sense of pride the next time you implement a Sunnah
• Gain a detailed idea of prophet movements etc
• Witness the meticulousness of the Sahabah in their recording
• Differentiate Sunnah of custom from Sunnah of worship